4 April 1986: Parting Thoughts

Friday evening, April 4, 1986

JFK International Airport, New York

 

My bags are checked and I’m holding a boarding pass for South African Airways flight 202 for Johannesburg.  So I guess it’s finally happening.

Today was relatively uneventful although I did meet Eduard DuPlessis, the New York manager of the South African Tourism Board.  He presented me with a “to whom it may concern letter” requesting that I be provided with “practical assistance.”  Hopefully, that request will translate into some discounts and freebees as I don’t have a limitless supply of cash available for a long stay in South Africa. 


DuPlessis was eager for me to get some positive South African travel stories published noting that tourism in South Africa was down 17% last year.  He attributed this decline to news reports of violence in the country rather than to any moral revulsion by travelers regarding apartheid.

Mr. DuPlessis assured me that I would encounter no trouble in South Africa as long as I stayed clear of outlawed organizations like the South African Communist Party and the African National Congress (ANC).  He noted that I would find South African Blacks very friendly, polite, and docile, unlike those on New York City streets who tend to stare, give dirty looks, or make vicious comments to whites.  I translated that to mean that “our Black Africans know their place”.   Funny but I never seem to have bad experiences with American Blacks maybe because I don’t look for trouble.  As for the young, smart-alecky blacks I encounter on the street, I don’t take offense at their comments.  Instead, I just smile and go about my business while being careful to steer clear of rough neighborhoods.  Otherwise, I generally find these dudes more amusing than annoying or threatening.

Walking the streets of Manhattan is quite the stimulating challenge.  Drivers turning across crosswalks see how close they can come to one’s legs with their bumpers.  I was reminded of the scene in “Midnight Cowboy” when Ratso Rizzo (Dustin Hoffman) bangs his fist on the hood of a taxi which has almost hit him and yells at the driver, “I’m walking here!”  Pedestrians on the crowded sidewalks almost run you down if you don’t follow a straight and narrow path while walking.  Fortunately, I survived the ordeal.  A young black guy even sold me a bus token ($1.00) when he saw me cussing to myself because I only had a dollar bill (change required to buy tokens).        

Only ½ hour before boarding.  When my airport shuttle van pulled up to the terminal earlier, I spotted the tail section of my plane, easily recognizable by the blue springbok on an orange background.  Gave me a traveler’s rush, a feeling somewhat akin to sexual stimulation one might experience in the dirty movie theaters on 42nd Street!  So here comes 16 hours of being cramped up in a metal, winged coffin.  I’ll check for any ANC bombs under my seat.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 12 October 1986: Extolling the Ex-Pat Lifestyle

Sunday, 8 June 1986: My English Hosts Take Me to a First-Rate National Park

Sunday, 4 May 1986: Boredom and Self-Pity Aren’t Pretty