Letters from Southern Africa, 1986-87

During my travels through South Africa during the twilight of Apartheid, I wrote almost daily using a portable, battery-operated Brother typewriter which my friend, Jim Bachman, loaned me.  It was about the size of today’s laptop computers.  My writings were in the form of letters to friends back in the U.S. in which I described my experiences, interactions with South Africans, and my thoughts on South African society.  Being paranoid that my writings could be lost, confiscated by the police, or disappear with a theft of my luggage, I dutifully photocopied each letter, mailed the copy to a friend, and kept the original for myself. 

With the exception of the newspaper story which appeared in a previous post on this blog, the letters have never been published.  In the 36 years since these letters were written, South Africa has undergone monumental changes, mostly, but not totally, for the better.  Thus, my letters are window back into those times as seen through the eyes of a wondering American geographer. 

I am going to start posting the letters (with edits) in the order in which I wrote them.  I will try to post at least one per week and include a few relevant photos.  The story starts with my leaving Denver on April 2, 1986.  I hope that readers find something of interest in these posts.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, 12 October 1986: Extolling the Ex-Pat Lifestyle

Sunday, 8 June 1986: My English Hosts Take Me to a First-Rate National Park

Sunday, 4 May 1986: Boredom and Self-Pity Aren’t Pretty